Pregnant women are known to be well in tune with their bodies physically, both during, and after the pregnancy, is over and done. After all, your health and well-being need to come ahead of everything else, especially because it is directly correlating with the well-being of your child. Looking out for yourself during pregnancy is paramount to bring a new healthy life into this world.
Should you worry about hair loss while pregnant?
Pregnancy and hair loss sometimes can go hand in hand. About 90% of your hair is growing at a given time while the other 10% of it, is entering just a form of a rest phase. On an average of two to three months, the hair that has entered a resting phase, will be the hair that does fall out and make room for new hair to grow. This is only a natural process for human hair.
However, it is not uncommon for a lot of hair to go into the resting phase during pregnancy, and it can afflict between 40% to 50% of women on the average. This is because there is a condition called Telogen effluvium that can occur during the first five months of pregnancy.
This condition usually is not something that is very serious and will unlikely cause any bald spots or permanent hair loss. It is only a temporary thing in nature and should start to go away, usually three to four months after a child been born. It should only become a matter of concern if you feel that something may truly be wrong.
But what if Telogen effluvium is not temporary?
TE is something that does happen naturally, and you should only worry about it if you are indeed suffering tremendous hair loss. Any hair loss that becomes uncontrollable during pregnancy might be a symptom of something else that is not going on right with your body. Sometimes, hair loss in women does happen for a variety of reasons, and this can be anything from changes in hormonal levels to anxiety and stress or vitamin and mineral deficiency.
If hormones do turn out to be the reason, as to why a pregnant woman is experiencing hair loss, it is something that can be treated with medication. Ironically enough, there are some hormonal medications when given to the pregnant women, limit the growth of hair. You should contact your doctor for a solution to this problem.
By addressing your hair loss issue, you may indeed be resolving something else that does require medical attention right off the bat. Do look into a hair loss hindrance as it may indeed be the symptom of something else. It is essential for a pregnant woman to get all the required vitamins and nutrients needed daily to have a healthy pregnancy.
Should you worry about hair loss after pregnancy?
You should pay attention to it, as well as, for anything else that may arise health-wise. However, don’t become too obsessed with it, just keep your doctor updated about any new change with your body. Looking out for yourself, while pregnant and afterward is essential to bringing and raising your child. It is also important to you, as a woman, to look out for your health and well-being each and every day.